If you use Windows 10, you probably already know about Cortana. It is a digital assistant designed to help users manage their daily tasks and routine. Naturally, Windows 10 comes with Cortana.
Have you used Cortana yet to help you manage your daily tasks and routine? If you haven’t already, you may want to try it. Below, we will show you how to set up and use this awesome digital assistant. Let’s start.
Setting Up Cortana on Windows 10
If you have used Cortana before, you will be able to find it in the taskbar. If you haven’t, you need to launch Cortana first. Here’s how to launch Cortana for the first time.
- Click the “Start Menu” button (the Windows icon in the bottom left of the screen)
- Click the “All apps” button
- Find “Cortana” on the list and click the button
- After you click the “Cortana” button, you will see a circle button. It is located just above the Windows icon. Click it
- Click “Use Cortana”
- If you want typing, speech, and inking personalization setting to be turned on, click “Yes.” By clicking yes, Cortana will be able to know how you use your PC better. As a result, it will be able to help you complete your tasks better. If you don’t want that, click “No thanks”
Pinning Cortana in the Taskbar
We mentioned earlier that Cortana can be found in the taskbar. It does but it might not be the default setting for Cortana. If Cortana does not appear in your taskbar, you need to open the Cortana app each time you want to use it. This can be bothersome. To make things simpler, you can simply pin Cortana to the taskbar. This allows you to access Cortana quickly and easily. Here’s how to do it.
- Hover the cursor on the taskbar then right-click it
- Find the “Cortana” option. Click it
- After you click the “Cortana” option, you will see three options: “Show Search box”, “Show Cortana icon”, and “Hidden”
Here are the explanations for each option:
- Show Search box pins Cortana’s search bar in the taskbar
- Show Cortana icon shows a circle icon (this is Cortana’s icon) in the taskbar
- Hidden hides Cortana from the taskbar
- To pin Cortana in the taskbar, choose the “Choose “Show Search box” option
Turning On “Hey Cortana” Feature
Cortana can be used by using written as well as voice commands. To activate voice command, you will need to turn on the “Hey Cortana” feature first. Here’s how to do it.
Open Cortana by pressing the Windows key (the button with Windows icon on your keyboard) and S simultaneously
Find the “Notebook” button and click it. If you can’t find it, look at the bottom left of your screen. It is below the house icon
Under “Hey Cortana” heading, you will see an On/Off switch. Switch it on
Using Cortana is very easy. You can either type something on Cortana app or say “Hey Cortana” and then ask your question. That’s all. Easy, right? Your digital assistant is now ready to help you.